Thursday, January 27

Who Are You People?

And why aren't there more of you? The dullard blog just cracked 5000 views since I started tracking that, sometime in Spring of 2004. During the run-up to the election, we'd get as many as 80 views in a day. Now we're pretty steady at around 20 or so. A slim majority of those seem to be repeat viewers, which is good, though I'm not quite sure who comes here how often. I had hoped more people would use the comments on here, though I'm grateful we don't get any commenting SPAM.

About a fifth of the views we get are from search-engine queries. Sometimes it's people searching on "dullard," which I assume are folks who forgot the exact address of the blog. But more often it's in response to anytime we make a reference to Eva Langoria. Sadly, "Abu Grabe Sex Photos" was a really popular search term for awhile, as well. I imagine having "Eva Langoria" and "Sex Photos" in the same paragraph (twice!) will actually result in quite a traffic spike.

We get a few referrers from being on the blog rolls of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, Douglas's Enthalpy blog, and the Pop Culture Gadabout. I used to get a few hits from my lame brothers, but they seem to have forsaken their blogging duties. Oh, and I get occasional (international!) traffic from Jose Augusto's Deshonestidad, a Peruvian blog -- and one more reason I am sad to be so illiterate in Spanish.

Oh, and about a fifth of the queries are from those annoying "NEXT BLOG" buttons at the top of every free blogger.com site. Has anyone found this site via one of those and bothered to return?

So, I guess in the final analysis, there's really only a dozen or so real readers of this blog, and no noticable trend upwards -- which is good in the sense that there's exactly zero pressure to try to make this anymore than it is -- a place to occasionally rant, and to toss things Ange and I find on the web where we can find them again -- and hopefully amuse each other, as well as Tim, Jody, and Scott. If anyone else is reading this regularly, please introduce yourselves in the Comment section -- let me know how you found the blog, and why you stick around.

Hmmm, given that "blogging about blogging" is the internet equivalent of jumping the shark, I guess we've actually hit two milestones in one day.... Anyway, thanks for reading the Dullard Gazette.

No comments: