Friday, April 22

Happy Pesach

Congrats on that whole being-freed-from-bondage thing to our Jewish reader(s).

So, did Passover start at sundown on Thursday night, or what? Because the Persian Jews around the corner from us were blasting Queen and ululation-tinged disco til 11:45 last night. (Freddy Mercury is apparently an icon in the Persian AND gay communities -- who knew?) I actually had to go and be The Man. The Man that tells other people to turn their music down.

And it's the second time I've had to do it with this house! Last time was around Thanksgiving, when two drunken little 20-somethings answered the door and invited me in to party with them (as it's easier to just put up with the creepy old neighbor guy than to have to turn down the music) but, unfortunately, <nerd-glasses-push>they were interrupting my & Jody's viewing of "Return of the King"</nerd-glasses-push> with her parents. This time, I walk up to the door with 911 pre-entered in my cell phone (in case some drunk doesn't want to stop ululating, as it's been well over a decade since I've taken a punch, and would probably start crying like a little girl), and a nice 50-ish woman answered the door, saying "Oh, sorry, it's the children...." Yes. YOUR children, you inconsiderate sssfrssfksfsk.....

What I want to know is:
1) How have we let our manners go so far in this society that people would be kicking out the jams (and beating a Dumbek, fer chirssake!) til midnight in a nice little semi-urban neighborhood?

2) These folks were 2 doors down from our over-the-back-fence neighbors. Is the rest of the neighborhood too deaf or frightened to take care of this? (Actually, both could be the case, as we are surrounded by retirees.)

3) When did I become The Man? I don't want to be The Man. If no one's gonna be The Man, then someone's gotta be The Man, I guess, but I tell ya, if this keeps up, along with crap with my mom, pressure at work, running the band -- I'm gonna crack! Jody's gonna come home and find me sobbing uncontrollably in a nice, comforting giant furry squirrel suit. And nobody wants to see that.

So just turn down your damn music already, willya?

No comments: