Friday, October 20

Second Life

I think what's going on in Second Life is fairly fascinating. People have been trying to get stuff like this off the ground for almost a decade now, but I think the bandwidth and web-browser technology is just now starting to be able to support something like this. I went ahead and signed up for a free account this week. It's worth taking a look at, though the universe there is so sparsely populated, it can seem a bit pointless. You almost have to converse with strangers to get anything out of the game. I got married so I would no longer have to talk to strangers, real or virtual, so this is a bit of a drawback to me.

The other drawback is that, playing in two bands, keeping up on pop-culture, and spending time with the few non-strangers my wife and I still like, pretty much takes up all my time as it is. I don't have time for a second life.

On the plus side, I took in one of their virtual sunsets last night, and it was pretty spectacular looking. Sadly, this was right around sunset in real time, and I live five minutes from the beach.

Alright, I have to go tend to my Sims now....

No comments: