Thursday, November 18

Face the face

For the first time in forever, I saw the video for this Pete Townshend song on VH1 Classic. It got me thinking how even his lesser works like the "White City" disc were always interesting if not entirely successful. (Disclaimer: There is no need, however, for any more Who albums, and I did not buy "The Iron Man" or "Psychoderelict.")

Seeing the video also got me thinking about how I have yet to come to a conclusion on Pete's weird Web adventures, even though it's been a while since his arrest and subsequent semi-exoneration. I want to believe him, give him the benefit of the doubt. But "just doing research" is the oldest excuse out there, and his sexual confusion is well-documented in his lyrics. (See "And I Moved.")

So, Pete Townshend: guitar hero, victim, perv, or a little bit of each? You make the call.

No comments: