Tuesday, November 29

Pullout

Great summary of Kaplan's piece over on Eschaton. (I'd link to the original, but Slate seems to be down at the mo'.) It raised a frightening though for me though -- what plan do we have in place if Iran decides an American withdrawl is the perfect time for a land-grab? The border between Iraq and Iran has long been disputed, the Iraqi forces will be utterly incapable of responding, and the Preznit has spent all his political capital for mideast wars. There will never be a better time for Iran to try to expand its borders, reopening a 2-3 decades old dispute, and possibly enticing other neighboring nations to do the same.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we have laid a pooh of unimaginable proportions -- not directly in our own bed, but we may see some fall-out from all of this down the line. Possibly literally.

No comments: