Monday, April 3

TV jackals

The idiots at the local ABC affiliate broke into "Jeopardy!" not once but twice Monday night with thunderstorm warnings. The second time was during final Jeopardy, which was totally pre-empted by the Generic Weather Woman and her precious Doppler radar.

Here's a transcript of my complaint call, which took several attempts to the station to get through. Perhaps I was not alone in my outrage.

TV Jackal: News Channel 11 newsroom.
Me: Yeah, I am calling to find out who won final Jeopardy.
TV Jackal: I don't know. We don't have time to watch game shows in the newsroom.
Me: Well, I would like to know because I watch "Jeopardy!" with my 5-year-old son, and we were disappointed tonight not to be able to see who won.
TV Jackal: Where do you live?
Me: Raleigh.
TV Jackal: There is some severe weather coming your way, so we need to let people know that.
Me: I understand, but couldn't it wait two minutes until the commercial? You never break into the commercials for these things.
TV Jackal: You make a good point, but it's our responsibility to provide information to the public.
Me: It could have easily waited until the commercial time.

Then I hung up in disgust. In the name of Alex Trebek, something needs to be done.

UPDATE: An hour and a half after the storm warning, a light rain fell on the city.

No comments: