Tuesday, August 10

Forgive me father, I've been Induced

This is my first ever attempt at blogging, so forgive me if things go awry...or don't, as I'm not really going to lose much sleep in any case.

Have you also become somewhat despondent about the state of our government? Well, there are little glimmers of hope left (if you are happy with a government driven by corporate interests, please don't take advantage of this blog to target the small bit of integrity left in the gov). And that is a Congress-critter who seems to have his offical constituencies (citizens) best interest in mind before his actual (corporate donors). And almost as important, is willing to discuss the issues with the people.

Congressman Rick Boucher is guest-blogging on Lawrence Lessig's site (I've been accused of being a Lessig fanboy, which though it is a bit odd to say about a law professor, is accurate enough to avoid correction) and is participating in the discussions to follow. Of initial interest so far is the discussion of the Induce Act, which is another attempt at chopping away at fair use and more specifically, the area granted us by the Sony Betamax case (the case in which Jack Valenti (may he rest in peace...soon) referred to the VCR as "Jack the Ripper" for the movie industry (Did I close all my parenthesis correctly?)). It is specifically targeted at P2P, but is so generally broad as to potentially cover anything from the iPod to CD burners to VCRs, yet again.

If this gets your blood to boil, please feel free and write/email your officials, storm the castle or give some shekels to those who will.

And I promise not all my entries with be of the buzz-kill variety.

No comments: