Tuesday, October 19

Betty Hill, possible UFO abductee, dies at 85

The name probably doesn't mean much to most people. But I read the story of Betty Hill and her husband, Barney, many times when I was kid. In elementary school, I consumed as much as I could about UFOs, Bigfoot, yetis and Nessie. This included books, "documentary" films and TV shows, including the "Six Million Dollar Man" episodes where Steve Austin took on Sasquatch.

I have a faint memory that books on these subjects were in the 100-200 range in the Dewey Decimal system. And the tale of the Hills was almost always a centerpiece of a UFO book.

The gist: In 1961, the Hills were driving back to their New Hampshire home from Canada when they "lost" two hours of the trip. Under hypnosis years later, they told a story of UFO abduction that became a sensation among UFO buffs and was even made into a TV movie in the 1970s.

Barney died in 1969. Betty carried on the cause, although she grew weary of "flaky" UFO researchers.

Betty died of cancer in New Hampshire this week. My interest in UFOs and Bigfoot faded when "In Search Of" went off the air, and I couldn't tell you where to find such material using the Library of Congress system.

No comments: