Friday, October 1

Watch the Monkey Make Faces

I thought the debate was fairly close -- Bush scored points on speaking to the camera, wheras Kerry looked kind of shifty by speaking to the moderator, eyes downcast. A lot of folks in Blogikstan seem to think the repetitive nature of Bush's answers was a liability, but I assumed it was a deliberate attempt to get just a few select anti-Kerry talking points out there, which could be smart -- except Kerry did a good job of refuting them almost immediately. The main thing Kerry accomplished was look like, yeah, I could see him as President. And Bush kind of hung himself by looking like a maladjusted chimpanzee.

Fortunately, I seem to be completely wrong about it being close, as people seem to feel across the board that Kerry clearly won it. I guess I was hoping for more of a knock-out from Kerry, and my expectations of the chimp were so low that he easily surpassed them. I'm quite a bit more hopeful about Kerry's chances today -- foreign policy, the CW goes, should have been Bush's strong suit in these debates.

No comments: